Have you ever gone on vacation and as you arrive wondered if you had locked your door? Or even if you had closed the door? I got from being away for the weekend a couple years ago to my front door wide open. How embarrassing. In my panicked frenzy to leave I forgot not just to lock the door, but to close it. Luckily all my valuables were still intact (really just my TV and cigars). I know vacation season has begun so I wanted to give you a gift. Stuff to do beforehand. You can make your own checklist but this will be a great start. Lots of credit to my mom and dad as the most prepared travelers in the world—they were big contributors on this series.
Top 3 tips for any kind of travel:
- Make a list! Make your list of things to do and also things to pack (included in future posts). This will take the guessing game out of vacation/going away. Keep it in your phone or somewhere easily accessible for the future.
- Buy an extra phone charger and put it in the suitcase you most frequently use. They are really cheap.
- Compile a complete toiletry kit with new toiletries. Don’t use any of these daily. That way you’re not having to pack everytime you go away for the weekend, you just grab it.
5 Things to do the week before vacation or longer travel:
- Email your itinerary and travel plans to a trusted friend. (my parents always send my sister and I this when they travel)
- Let a trusted neighbor know you will be gone and to keep an eye out.
- Put a hold on your mail and newspaper (do people still get those?). The USPS has a place to do that online HERE.
- Check any bill due dates and pay them. Getting a late fee after a great vacation is like a punch in the throat.
- I have a rule where I don’t pack the day I’m leaving. This makes me pack the night before and gives me some time to remember things that aren’t on the list.
Next post: 10 things to do the day that you leave and in honor of our soon-coming trip to the Middle East, some international tips.